In case you hate both the New England Patriots and the Philadelphia Eagles, here is the official unofficial drinking game for Super Bowl 52.
And then there were two. Super Bowl LII is set, as it will be between the AFC champion New England Patriots and the NFC champion Philadelphia Eagles. Both teams were the No. 1 seeds in their respective conferences. New England beat two AFC South teams in the Tennessee Titans and the Jacksonville Jaguars to reach back-to-back Super Bowls. Philadelphia upended the Atlanta Falcons and the Minnesota Vikings to get to Super Bowl LII.
For Philadelphia, this is the Eagles’ third trip to the Super Bowl and first since 2004. Should they win, this would be the Eagles’ first Super Bowl championship. As for New England, this will be the Patriots’ 10th trip to the Super Bowl and the eighth time during the Tom Brady/Bill Belichick era (2001-present). New England is looking to repeat as Super Bowl champions and win its sixth Lombardi Trophy.
Most people outside of New England hate the Patriots because it’s fun to root against the reigning NFL dynasty. It’s not like casual NFL fans like Philadelphia all that much either. So if you are forced to watch this game between two teams you probably hate, here is a fun drinking game you and your friends could try to play.
Super Bowl LII Drinking Game
- Shotgun your Bud Light whenever you see or hear “Dilly, Dilly!”
- Finish your drink if Matt Patricia tries to erase something on his laminated sheet with that trusty No. 2 pencil of his.
- Drink every time Al Michaels or Cris Collinsworth mention that Nick Foles is the Eagles backup quarterback.
- Take a sip every time you see an Eagles fan wearing a German Shepherd dog mask/they try to play up the underdog narrative despite being the No. 1 seed.
- Drink when NBC talks about Gisele Bundchen.
- Finish your drink when Bill Belichick shows emotion (he might not until he hoists the Lombardi Trophy).
- Take a sip when Cris Collinsworth mentions DeflateGate more than three years after the fact.
- If something risqué happens during Justin Timberlake’s halftime performance, shotgun that beer of yours.
- Drink every time you see Mark Wahlberg, Bill Simmons, Bradley Cooper or Mike Trout are on screen. They’re actually fans of these teams.
- Take a sip every time Cris Collinsworth mentions the run-pass option/RPO that Doug Pederson is running for Nick Foles.
- Chug your drink if something bad happens to Doug Pederson’s visor/hair (i.e., Lane Johnson dumps a Gatorade cooler on his head after winning Super Bowl LII).
- Enjoy your beverage every time NBC mentions that this is the last game either Josh McDaniels or Matt Patricia will be coordinators on the New England Patriots staff.
- Waterfall the entire time Roger Goodell has to interact with Robert Kraft during the Lombardi Trophy presentation.
- Anything to do with the TB12 Method, yes, you’re drinking.
- Take a sip every time Tom Brady completes a first-down pass on a screen to a wide receiver or running back. Also, Gronk stuff. Yeah, definitely Gronk stuff.
No, you don’t have to abide by all 15 Super Bowl LII drinking game rules. You can pick a few that could work in your eclectic friend group. Except for “Dilly, Dilly,” yes, you’re going to have to do that because ‘Murica!
Either New England wins its sixth Super Bowl or Philadelphia wins its first. We’ll call this Super Bowl the New York Giants’ worst nightmare. The G-Men had a terrible year to begin with. Now two of their most hated teams are competing for a Lombardi Trophy that is definitely 100 percent not coming back to the Big Apple. Be safe, have fun and enjoy yourselves.